Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Bronx, Part I, part 2

Here's another lomo from where that bridge is. I don't know if I was supposed to be there, but there was an access road and nothing to keep people out. I'm not sure it's a place you'd want your children playing.


After that is where I almost got a little lost. Well, I don't think I was ever really lost, I just didn't know where I was or where I was going, but I could always find my way back to Manhattan. But riding along the Harlem River, I ran out of real estate in the Bronx and had no idea where I was. So I got on a bridge catwalk for the Triborough Bridge, thinking it would take me to Manhattan. It looked like the right direction, but I ended up on what I later found out was Randalls Island, and I got on another bridge catwalk, which I suppose was the same bridge, but the catwalk didn't go through.

Triborough Bridge. Three boroughs. Bronx, Manhattan...Queens. I was riding along the bridgeway catwalk thinking it would take me to Manhattan, but after a mile I recognized the main part of the bridge up ahead. You have to cross it to get to JFK. I was headed towards Queens. I panicked ever so mildly realizing how far I had to backtrack, and turned around to head back to Randalls Island and the Bronx:

Toll approach off the Triborough Bridge.

The sun was getting on in the west, and I was getting a little tired and hungry, so I didn't think of shooting much. I backtracked all the way to the Bronx and found a proper crossing to Manhattan, and fortunately, it put me into Manhattan at 125th Street. I still had to cross town and go up 50 blocks, but I was expecting to be at, like, 59th St., so I was happy. My last lomo of the day was crossing the George Washington Bridge as the sun dipped below the horizon:

Camera use is prohibited on the bridge, but whatever. I didn't stop for this, just pulled Bebe out of my pocket, took off the rubber lens cap, pointed and shot.

current sounds:
1. Antenna (Nokko)
2. Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream (King Crimson)
3. The Brown-Skin Gal (In the Calico Gown) (Duke Ellington)
4. Eternal (Joy Division)
5. Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats ("Cats")
6. T.B.C. (Terminal Baggage Claim) (Chick Corea Akoustic Band)
7. Gravel (live) (Ani DiFranco)
8. We Work the Black Seam (live) (Sting)
9. One Song For You (Sleater-Kinney)
10. What a Day that Was (David Byrne)

2 comments:

joyce said...

you can't take pictures on the bridge? who's enforcing it, the bridge patrol?

is all this lomo-ing getting expensive? i think that's what i like about digital, it's cheap. :)

keauxgeigh said...

yea, I'm not sure about enforcement. I've read about people stopped on other NY area bridges. They've found no terrorists yet, but I think if they keep this up for several thousand years, statistically they're going to catch maybe one or less. God bless America (as long as He doesn't bless us again the way He did on Sept. 11).

It's not that expensive, especially with a negative scanner. The cost of developing a roll of film without prints is $2.28. Without the scanner, I would have them put the shots on CD for like $5.