Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Seconds and Steps Apart



June 22, 2006 - What I see everyday walking out the front door of my building. That bike belongs to someone in my building. Since then I've started parking my bike right out there, too, especially since I never know when it's going to rain in this town.

By the columns are bins where you can put your store receipts. I'm not sure how it all works, but every store receipt has a number on top, which is apparently a lottery number. The general populace can't be bothered with the hassle of holding onto receipts, which really would be a hassle, and checking numbers to see if there's a hit. So I gather charities put out these bins where you can "donate" your receipts. Clever. I have once seen a homeless person collecting receipts, ostensibly for the reason of hoping for a lottery hit.

Downstairs from me is a 全家 Family Mart Convenience Store, you can just see the sign on the right in the bottom lomo, but I opt to go to the 7-11 a few doors down the other way, because if you buy NT$77 of crap at 7-11, they give you a cute, collectible Doraemon fridge magnet. The current promotion is magnets of Doraemon in different countries, portrayed with hilarious cultural stereotypes. Like the Korea Doraemon has him in front of some cultural landmark, wearing a hat not seen in Korea for several hundred years, and barbecuing meat! I tell ya, hilarious.

Oh, and my internet is down again, which is why it's been so long since posting.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. In the Rapids (Genesis)
2. Freak Fest (Charlie Hunter Quintet)
3. It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It) (The Rolling Stones)
4. Abdulmajid (David Bowie)
5. Moby Dick (live) (Led Zeppelin)
6. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) (John Lennon)
7. Slow Worm (Archers of Loaf)
8. Untouchable Face (Ani DiFranco)
9. Gypsy (Fleetwood Mac)
10. Maori Chant (The Neville Brothers)

4 comments:

joyce said...

AH! you must get one of those magnets w/doraemon in korea! hahaha, sounds hilarious!

keauxgeigh said...

I already have one! If I score another, I'll send it to you :)

ocgal22 said...

hmmm . . . must check if 7-11 has the same promotion here in singapore

keauxgeigh said...

Unless you never go to 7-11, it's hard to miss.

there is a Singapore magnet, but I forget what's on it. Maybe an execution for spitting out gum? (sorry, that wasn't fair)