Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Kaohsiung - President Department Store


August 12, 2006 - Oh, I thought this was Kaishuan Road that my cousin lives on. I went down to Kaohsiung to check out a language school down there, to which I was thinking of transfering. After visiting the school, I was driving with my uncle and stuck Bebe out the window and shot. But this isn't Kaishuan Road (I really don't know the roads down there that well), I think it's Heping Road because wee in the distance is the new President Department Store. I'm a little confused about my geography down there right now.

This is what is left of the original President Department Store on Wufu Road:

The original President was just as grand as the current one, but back in the day, it was really grand. It was, like, the pride of Kaohsiung (Kaohsiung didn't have a lot to be proud of back then). Then between my visits (years) a fire gutted the building and, oh, look what I just found:


December 30, 1996 - Almost 10 years ago, the fascade of the original President after years of being gutted and abandoned. It looks like it was undergoing reconstruction, but it never happened. Or maybe they were preparing to take it down and reducing it to what is left now. The new President has a modernized "P" in the same place. Actually, the new "P" is also in the second lomo (can't really see it in the first shot, even enlarged). The original President was some 12-13 stories, had an amusement park on the roof, and, I think, two glass elevators under the "P". A super-tuff place to play for an 11 year old.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Super-Tuff (XTC)
2. Lower East Side (Delinquent Habits)
3. Lie in Our Graves (Dave Matthews Band)
4. People (King Crimson)
5. Live With Me (The Rolling Stones)
6. Children of Production (live) (Parliament)
7. That Means a Lot (The Beatles - Anthology)
8. Girl School (Rebecca)
9. May Queen (Liz Phair)
10. Dirty Pool (Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble)

No comments: