Monday, August 20, 2007

新北投 I


June 23, 2007 - Shuttle MRT to Xin Beitou in northern Taipei. Xin Beitou caters to Japanese tourists wanting to go to the hot springs that the area is famous for. Apparently they are well-known to Japanese tourists because during the Japanese occupation of Taiwan (1895-1945), government administrators developed the area and frequented the hot springs because it reminded them of hot springs in Japan. Or something.

Anyway, now the Japanese tourists are so valuable to the area, they built a shuttle MRT branch line from Beitou station to Xin Beitou station, which is less than a mile long. If the shuttle MRT isn't at the platform at Beitou, I'll usually just leave the station at Beitou station and walk, and I'll often save time.


June 30, 2007 - Xin Beitou, Taipei, Taiwan. I thought the MRT lomo was going to be a one-off odd post, but on the next roll, I found I also went to Xin Beitou the next week. I think this is now a museum in the park there. And I think it has something to do with water, but I've never been inside. I think there's something notable about this red brick architecture and that maybe the Japanese built it. So it may have been some government administration building. *yawn*

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Cosmic Sunshine Baby (French Dub Mix) (Nokko)
2. Breakthru (Queen)
3. Walking On the Moon (The Police)
4. Lowest Common Denominator (Unwound)
5. Mind Power (A Tribe Called Quest)
6. I'm Not Down (The Clash)
7. Euphoria (Delerium)
8. I'm Not a Saint (Echobelly)
9. Thela Hun Ginjeet (King Crimson)
10. Room for the Life (Kate Bush)

No comments: