Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Bronx, Part I, part 1

So a couple weeks ago, after an unseasonable nasty cold spell, tempertures rose and I felt compelled to head out on my bike. Not on "a ride", but just to ride. Imagine that. I ended up crossing the bridge into New York, and then finding myself going where I had never gone before. Instead of turning south after the bridge like I usually do, I ended up crossing town and heading south on the east side of Manhattan. I only got as far as 155th Street (from 178th) when a bridgeway looked too inviting to pass up:


Safe rider that I am, I was on the sidewalk for the first time on that road. You can see a bike rider in the shot cruising down the middle of the road. This bridgeway ended up not only leading me to a bridge that crossed the Harlem River into the Bronx, but the quickest way to Yankee Stadium:


You know, I've never been to either Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium. I've only passed them both in a car since driving to JFK airport from New Jersey will take you past both. This is the closest I've ever been to Yankee Stadium. I'm a Mets fan, but I live in a Yankee stronghold in New Jersey. I had friends in grade school who would have Yankees over for dinner back in the 70s. Still, living in the New York area, I really should avail myself of the opportunity to say that I've been to Yankee Stadium. ...And being a Mets fan, I have no excuse for never having been to Shea Stadium, except that they don't play so good these days.

I hadn't planned on ending up in the Bronx, so to keep from getting lost, I rode along and as close to the Harlem River as possible. This way I could keep track of all the bridges leading back to Manhattan.


Over the shoulder shot in the Bronx.


I don't think this is a named bridge, it's for subway lines. You can't miss it driving down the east side of Manhattan on the Harlem River Drive (or the FDR Drive, I don't know which it is at this point), and I've seen it countless times. Never from the Bronx side, though.

current sounds:
1. School Night (Ani DiFranco)
2. Mother of Violence (Peter Gabriel)
3. I'll See You in My Dreams (Django Reinhardt)
4. Run (Supergrass)
5. So Sad About Us (The Breeders)
6. Hang Down Your Head (Tom Waits)
7. Blue Sphere (Thelonius Monk)
8. Spring (Kristin Hersh)
9. Thinka 'Bout It (Paris)
10. Two of Us (The Beatles)

No comments: