Friday, November 11, 2005

Hudson River Boat Basin

The town my parents live in is on top of cliffs. The Palisades. If you've ever heard of them, it was either from history books, George Washington's retreat during the Revolutionary War, specifically, or a Billy Joel song. There's a road that winds down off the cliffs to the Hudson River where the riparian land use is recreational. Fishing, boating, picnicing, walking, biking. I used to run along the top of the cliffs.


Hudson River Boat Basin, looking back up the cliffs and a big poofy cloud.

Turning around 180 degrees to the opposite view:

Hudson River

Walk about a mile south and there's a more extensive recreational area that has been developed since I last lived here. I know that because I found photos from the 90s taken from the top of the cliffs that I shot during visits to my parents, showing the construction.

It's quite nice now:

I think these are classically the Palisades. Whatever that means.

turn around 180 degrees and the George Washington Bridge is right there:


current sounds (last 10 songs shuffled on iTunes):
1. Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, 3rd Movement (Bach)
2. Quicksand (demo) (David Bowie)
3. Kipenda Roho (Orchestre Super Matimila & Remmy Ongala)
4. The Tower That Ate People (Peter Gabriel)
5. We Both Reached for the Gun ("Chicago")
6. 19-2000 (Gorillaz)
7. Trees (live) (Rush)
8. Is There Anybody Out There? (Pink Floyd)
9. Negative Creep (Nirvana)
10. Blacking Out the Friction (Death Cab for Cutie)

No comments: