Thursday, January 12, 2006

Ride-by Shooting: Englewood, NJ


November 24, 2005 - Intersection of Grand Ave. and Englewood St. That's a piano store on the corner. It used to be a small, local music store called Gilsonite, and it was a few doors down from the corner, but it was bought out and expanded. I think the only thing I still have that I bought at that store is an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone chorus box. The same one Kurt Cobain used on "Come As You Are" (really, I dialed it up once and it was the exact effect), and can be seen in the liner note photos of their "In Utero" CD.


Palisade Avenue. This is a view of my high school which just built this extension to the theater building. Being a theater/orchestra geek playing string bass, I spent a lot of time there. I wonder what the extension is.


Palisade Avenue. Driving up the cliffs of Englewood Cliffs. It's not terribly steep, all the streets that go up to the cliffs area are pretty straight, and I didn't know what switchbacks were until I got to California. It was a "big hill" even to walk when I was growing up here, but now, on a bike, it's barely a challenge. It's a challenge if I'm dehyrated and hadn't eaten and it's 110 degrees.

1. As I Lie (J Church) <- San Francisco punk band song about getting hit by a Muni bus on Market Street.
2. Voices (Cheap Trick)
3. In Hiding (Genesis)
4. Love Struck Baby (Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble)
5. Mary Queen of Arkansas (Bruce Springsteen)
6. Cello Suite No. 2, IV - Sarabande (J.S. Bach - Yo-Yo Ma)
7. I Ain't Got Nothin' But the Blues (Lena Horne)
8. Okinawa Song (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
9. Phony Rappers (A Tribe Called Quest)
10. Rebel Music (live) (Bob Marley & the Wailers)

2 comments:

joyce said...

nirvana's "come as you are" is one of the 2 songs i know how to play on guitar. my friend taught me in high school. :) the other is "yankee doodle" hehe...

keauxgeigh said...

now that's just weird! ;) "Come As You Are" is pretty easy to play, but how he sings and plays it at the same time is quite a feat.