Friday, February 17, 2006

This used to be my playground?


January 9, 2006 - Little League memories. I knew it as Johnson Field, but it got re-named later to my chagrin, thus introducing me to the idea of impermanence in this life. We had a "Minor League" and a "Major League" and a "Babe Ruth League". I was on a championship team in the minor league. The team was Siegfried Motors, which is now (still) a Volkswagen dealership on the corner of Charlotte and 9W. I played catcher and hated it because I didn't get to wear a baseball hat on the field like everybody else. But if I didn't play catcher, I would've been stuck in right field where each team's sucky player is put out to pasture. We went undefeated and won all 10 games we played. They called me the best catcher in the league, but there was no stealing in the minor leagues, so it's not like I did a whole lot as catcher. I was more like a moving backstop. I couldn't hit for squat, but I did get one hit against our main rivals, Englewood Cliffs Ambulance Corps, the team with all the cool kids with cool older brothers who coached them and engineered them to all be on the same team. I got a double and scored an RBI. We won 3-2. I must have been like eight years old.


The same ol' S-curve riding up 9W. January was incredibly warm and I never expected to be able to go riding. I'm a wuss with no winter gear, so I don't go riding unless the temperatures are well in the 50s. Otherwise, I just spin on a trainer in the basement while watching episodes of Buffy.


iTunes soundtrack:
1. Rock Paper Scissors (Ani DiFranco)
2. For You Blue (The Beatles)
3. Epilogue - Theme from City of Angels ("City of Angels")
4. Fever Few (Throwing Muses)
5. Natural Mystic (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
6. The Overload (Talking Heads)
7. Glorious (The Breeders)
8. Sliver (Nirvana)
9. What A Day That Was (live) (Talking Heads)
10. So Divine (Sakura)

2 comments:

joyce said...

how in the world did you take that last shot? do you have a timer on your lomo??? or you just have extra long arms? :P

keauxgeigh said...

that's the fisheye! it elongates more towards the edges. I'm just hand holding it. There's another shot I posted earlier walking down a crowded sidewalk on 5th Ave. It looks like the camera is higher than it is, but I was just holding the camera up at arms length.