Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Train to Hong Kong

Bah! My internet at home is down again. That means I have to go to the public library again for my internet fix. This is unacceptable, right? Tell me that I should definitely leave at the end of my lease at the end of August and move to a place that has reliable internet.


May 15, 2006 - First lomo frame on the ground in Hong Kong, taking the express airport train to Hong Kong proper. It was beautiful landing in Hong Kong. The airport is kinda out there, and to get to Hong Kong forces you to travel through stunning tropical island landscape, lots of water and mountainous islands. Seeing it from a train window, I'm sure, doesn't do it justice.

Unfortunately, this was my first time in Hong Kong, I can't even remember a single word of Cantonese from any of the Hong Kong films I've seen, I was only going for a day to get a student visa back to Taiwan, and I was sleep deprived, having stayed overnight at the Taipei airport so that I could make sure I got there on time for the first flight out. That was brutal. And I had only done rudimentary research on what to do for the 4-5 hours I'd be waiting to get my visa.

I notice an aberrant peak in visits to this quiet site. Feel free to say "hi!", ya'll.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Polka Dots and Moonbeams (Wes Montgomery)
2. Das Neue Japanische Elekronische Volkslied (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
3. Sweet Virginia (The Rolling Stones)
4. Stay Up Late (Talking Heads)
5. Liquid Fire (Nokko)
6. Blown a Wish (My Bloody Valentine)
7. David Watts (live) (The Kinks)
8. Gotta Stay High (New Radicals)
9. That's All (Genesis)
10. Ain't Got No (reprise) ("Hair")

4 comments:

joyce said...

i just watched the most interesting show about shanghai. it sounds like most of china's big cities are growing like mad, while the rich middle class get richer, the poor just get squashed and chased out of their homes that generations of their family have lived in. so sad...

i LOVE the musical "Hair!" saw it in SF years and years ago, i think for the 25th anniversary or something. :D

keauxgeigh said...

So much about China is really wack, and I don't think all of it can be attributed to the wack authoritarian government that even Google kowtows to. I do view the current government as just another dynasty, and it will fall. Unfortunately, dynasties can go on for several centuries.

I wish I could see a stage production of "Hair". I've read about it and the production itself sounds really interesting, and of course the music is killer. "Happy birthday, Abie-baby, Happy birthday to you, yea, Happy birthday, Abie-baby, happy birthday to you, BANG!"

joyce said...

it's like the gov't supressed all this growth and now they're trying to catch up with the rest of the modern world, but doing it at light speed. the show i watched said that shanghai is growing at a rate of almost 1 million ppl a year! holy crap!

Hair is so awesome, if you ever get a chance to see it, you totally should. and yes, they really do get buck naked at the end of act 1.

keauxgeigh said...

I heard about that part of the show. Hard to imagine. They certainly took it out of the movie! :P (I think the movie is nothing like the show)