Sunday, July 23, 2006

Two of Mongkok

Gah, so where was I? Oh yea, trip to Hong Kong.

May 15, 2006 - One of the main drags in the Mongkok section of Hong Kong, the one with all the camera shops. I was hoping to score a new digital, but without knowing the language, and not quite sure what the haggling expectations are, either in Hong Kong or Taiwan, I'm scared of paying too much for a camera. I don't want to pay the asking price and find out that haggling could have gotten me a better price, and some camera store clerk smirked me a sucker for paying the asking price. I don't want to be punk'd. Who does?

Anyway, the model I'm looking for, which isn't normally sold in the U.S. (it's not in B&H or J&R), is available through some online sites in the U.S. for surprisingly far less than either Hong Kong or Taiwan, so I'm going to wait till I visit the U.S. in August and hope those online prices remain and aren't a fluke.


A Mongkok intersection.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Skimbleshanks ("Cats")
2. Macilumah (David Darling & the Wulu Bunun)
3. Here Comes the Flood (Peter Gabriel)
4. Maori Chant (The Neville Brothers)
5. Bea (Throwing Muses)
6. Black Coffee In Bed (Squeeze)
7. Drivin' on 9 (The Breeders)
8. John-G (Yuko Hara)
9. Pictures At An Exhibition, Prom.-Il Vecchio Castello (Mussorgsky)
10. Bernadette (The Kinks)

2 comments:

joyce said...

wow, that's a lot of line in the middle of that intersection!

keauxgeigh said...

not even freshly painted! Hong Kong definitely was a precarious balance between old-feeling and new-feeling. Shiny new skyscrapers vs. decrepit urban decay.