Monday, November 06, 2006

holy smokes



August 8, 2006 - Taiwanese are very superstitious people. I'm sure there's a kinder way of saying that, but I'm not trying to be kind here. I've had just about as much as I can take of Taiwanese burning shit in front of their stores, as if the global warming wasn't bad enough. Oh yea, I saw the Al Gore movie. Rode my bike to see it, too.

I'm just kidding. It was only really bad when my downstairs neighbor saw fit to burn "ghost money" in a cauldron in the hallway. I don't know what they're doing in these shots outside next door to my apartment, although there is evidence that ghost money was burned - an annoying inconvenience as you go down the street and feel the acrid sting of smoke in your eyes and hairy nostrils.

But if they want to erect an altar in front of their store and burn incense for good fortune, so be it. Something about it made me feel bold enough to walk right up and stick Bebe in their midst and shoot. Maybe something about obnoxious begets obnoxious.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Yer Blues (The Beatles)
2. You Wonder How These Things Begin ("The Fantasticks")
3. The Sun Has Got His Hat On ("Me and My Girl")
4. Nobody Home (Pink Floyd)
5. Let's Spend the Night Together (David Bowie)
6. What a Piece of Work is Man ("Hair")
7. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace) (George Harrison)
8. Soma (live) (Smashing Pumpkins)
9. Karma Police (Radiohead)
10. It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like It) (The Rolling Stones)

No comments: