Tuesday, December 19, 2006

the main hall


October 14, 2006 - I was at the monastery with my sister-in-law's family. They went to pray and make offerings because my sister-in-law's older sister was going to have some delicate brain surgery soon. I'm not sure what I think of that. Actually, I'm not sure what they think about that! It's not like they're devout Buddhists or anything. They invited me along (or assumed I was coming along) because of that almost-entering-a-monastery thing I did.

So if it's making offerings and praying to some external being hoping for material favor, I'm not sure I can support that sort of thinking. But if it's a gesture of internal reflection and generation of positive energy, then that's something I'm less skeptical about.

Anyway, it worked and she came out of the brain surgery with flying colors. My sister-in-law reports that when you clap, her sister clucks like a chicken. I can't wait to try that out.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Star (Belly)
2. The Rhythm of Life ("Sweet Charity")
3. 10538 Overture (Electric Light Orchestra)
4. Waitress (live) (Tori Amos)
5. Symphony No. 8, IV. Allegro Vivace (Beethoven)
6. So Jah Seh (Bob Marley & the Wailers)
7. Escape of the Levitational Trapeze Artist (June of 44)
8. Fugue in G Minor "The Greater" (J.S. Bach)
9. Standing in the Shadows of Love (The Four Tops - Motown)
10. Thirty-Three (Smashing Pumpkins)

No comments: