Sunday, February 04, 2007

The Black Hand Society


December 7, 2006 - I conveniently had the 2 out while walking behind the Taida campus library towards class when this group of riders came by carrying ominous black banners. They looked like they were having fun. I didn't get it in the shot, but I saw the characters 黑 (black) and 社 (society), which translated in my mind as something underhanded and devious, maybe revolutionary. Maybe! After all, the revolution will not be motorized.


December 12, 2006 - Several days later the banners were just posted around, and indeed it says 黑社會 - Black Society, but I kept thinking of it as the Black Hand Society. Maybe because a friend lent me a CD by an underground artist who went by the name 黑手Nagasi (Black Hand Nagasi). This is in front of the library where there are typically bike parking jams.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Piano Concerto No. 2, II. Larghetto (Chopin)
2. St. Stephen (The Grateful Dead)
3. Mercury - The Winged Messenger (Holst - "The Planets")
4. Symphony No. 5, I. Moderato (Shostakovich)
5. Nostalgia (Archers of Loaf)
6. Yesterday is Here (Tom Waits)
7. Worse Than Detroit (Robert Plant)
8. Bonzo's Montreux (Led Zeppelin)
9. I'm Not Afraid (Skunk Anansie)
10. A Wonderful Day in a One-Way World (Peter Gabriel)

No comments: