Sunday, April 22, 2007
New Years rooftop
February 17, 2007 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Shooting west at the sunset from the rooftop of my uncle's building. It's actually technically mostly my mother's building, since after my grandparents died, she got most of the title by contributing the most money to make sure the family kept it. That's just my guess why. Anyway, it's not like it's mostly her building and she's letting my uncle stay there. It's his home, and if my mother had to contribute money to keep it that way, well, that's how she treats family.
The sun out there is setting over the sea, by the way. That's part of Kaohsiung Harbor in that direction, and the newly refurbished Fisherman's Wharf.
Same rooftop, same time, I just held the shutter open a little longer time to get more light. Also this is facing away from the sunset, so more light is falling here. During New Years, this street outside my uncle's building and the surrounding alleyways turn into a raging nightmarket for 3 or 4 days. That's what all those booths are. The center section has had to have been left clear for the past few years because it is right over where they're building a Kaohsiung MRT subway station (whoa! somebody check that grammar, is it correct?), so construction stuff has been there.
1. Dying (XTC)
2. I of the Mourning (Smashing Pumpkins)
3. Sanya (Kohachiro Miyata)
4. Training Horses on the Mongolian Grassland (Guo Brothers and Shung Tian)
5. Teeth Like God's Shoeshine (Modest Mouse)
6. Satellite (Aimee Mann)
7. The Punk and the Godfather (The Who)
8. Crepescule with Nellie (Thelonius Monk)
9. A German Requiem, V. Ihr Habt Nun Traurigkeit (Brahms)
10. Symphony No. 2, I. Adagio molto-Allegro con brie (Beethoven)