Sunday, May 06, 2007

HSR ticket, part 1


February 19, 2007 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan. That, of course, is the most noticeable building in the Kaohsiung "skyline". We were driving to another New Years family gathering, but it was a family unrelated to me. It was my uncle's first wife's family. She died in 1993. So the family is also my cousin Audrey's mother's side, and we used to be closer, so they got used to me accompanying them, even though I'm related on her father's side. But since Audrey and I aren't that close anymore, it was just uncomfortable, and I eventually just walked out without anyone noticing.


When I left, I decided I wanted to go by myself to buy a High Speed Rail (HSR) ticket for my return trip to Taipei the next day. The Kaohsiung terminus of the HSR line is actually at New Zuoying Station, a train station away from Kaohsiung Main Station. And the local trains don't run regularly or often, so it's not really all that convenient to get to if you don't have a car.

I took a bus to Kaohsiung Main Station, bought a local train ticket (about 50 cents U.S.), waited for the train, took the train to New Zuoying Station (see lomo above), waited on line for 45 minutes (New Years travellers) to buy my HSR ticket, bought a local train ticket back to Kaohsiung Main Station, waited for the train, and then took a bus back to my uncle's apartment.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Bullpen (The Pugs)
2. I'll Be Gone (Tom Waits)
3. Kanawha (Seam)
4. Moon Over Cuba (Duke Ellington)
5. Standin' In the Rain (Electric Light Orchestra)
6. My Second Life (The Guo Brothers & Shung Tian)
7. Kayleigh (Marillion)
8. Ein Deutsches Requiem, III. Herr, Lehre Doch Mich (Brahms)
9. I've Got My Mind Set On You (George Harrison)
10. Shigatsu no Ame (Dreams Come True)

No comments: