Friday, December 30, 2005

Broken snare head


November 19, 2005 - I had this Aquarian Hi-Energy head on my snare for longer than any other type of snare head I've tried. The thing was indestructible. Almost. To its credit, it lasted years. I have photos of this same head from 2001, when I was playing in gigging band in San Francisco. Also, most heads break in the center, where it's struck, and when it breaks, you know it because your stick goes through it, and you go, "uh-oh".

This one broke on the edge, and there was still enough tension along the rest of the rim that it took me a few minutes to realize where it was broken. I noticed something funny about the sound and feel, but I didn't see a break and thought it sounded cool and just kept playing. Talk about reliable. If this thing broke during a gig, it might have even lasted out a set, whereas with other heads, I'd have to change heads, losing a song or two in the process, or would have to borrow a snare from another band. I had no qualms going out and buying the same head.

current soundtrack:
1. Isn't She Lovely? (Phase II Steel Band)
2. San Tropez (Pink Floyd) 3 in a row!
3. The Narrow Way, pt. 1 (Pink Floyd)
4. Dogs (Pink Floyd)
5. Follow You, Follow Me - remixed (Genesis)
6. Uncertain Smile (The The)
7. White Trash Heroes (live) (Archers of Loaf)
8. Sweet Valentine (Princess Princess)
9. Riders On the Storm (The Doors)
10. Blue Rondo a la Turk (Dave Brubeck Quartet)

No comments: