So, the last roll of film I got developed, I also had scanned by the photo store. Turns out their commercial scanner is much better than my $200 bottom of the line Konica-Minolta scanner, much to my surprise, mind you (not really).
Unfortunately, "better" is relative, and there is such a difference in the actual quality of the scans that there are some things I like about the commercial scan, and other things I like about the home scan. It's been a quandary, ergo I haven't posted any yet.
I don't intend to do this with the whole roll, I hope, but here are the comparisons:
Xinbeitou, Taipei, Taiwan, June 10, 2006, the last time I went to weekend international group zen practice session at Dharma Drum practice center. I left early because the vibe I got from the practice group was just wrong. Something just wasn't right, and I haven't gone back since.
duller, focus not sharp, but I like the color tones in the water, which is closer to how it looked, and the cloud detail.
sharper focus, brighter and more eye-catching, loss of cloud detail
1. Mystery and Misery (Rainer Maria)
2. This Year's Girl #2 (Pizzicato Five)
3. Did You Wonder? (The Black Heart Procession)
4. Dumb (live unplugged) (Nirvana)
5. Tonight, Tonight (Smashing Pumpkins)
6. Throw a Blanket Over the Sun (Shannon Wright)
7. Too Much Posse (Public Enemy)
8. Mister Cellophane ("Chicago")
9. Ocean of Wine (Helium)
10. Many Too Many (remixed) (Genesis)