Friday, June 15, 2007

Dream Epoch Mall


April 7, 2007 - Kaohsiung, Taiwan. One of the atriums of the new Dream Era/Epoch Mall, I forget which is the official translation, they both sound fine and mean basically the same thing. I went to see the architecture and to see what people are investing in these days.

When I was growing up in the Land of Malls (a.k.a., New Jersey), malls were just malls. Commercial outlets run by businessmen who dictated their own whims in terms of design and usage, which usually meant bottom line. Now I feel that if people are putting time, energy, and money into an endeavor, it has to mean something more than the bottom line. They have to think about the environment, public enjoyment, and design and aesthetics.

The Dream E/E Mall was very good architecturally, pretty interesting. But I guess I was being weird, because in the end it's just a mall. I'll have to get more pictures the next time I go down. Which might be this weekend since I was just reminded that it's the 端午節 holiday. I'm too lazy to look up what that translates to, but it's the Dragon Boat Races. It's a little short notice to go down today, or even tonight, but I have to find out how many days we have off next week. If we have both Monday and Tuesday off, I'll probably go.


Ferris Wheel on the roof of the mall.

sometimes weird coincidences come up in shuffle play:
iTunes soundtrack:
1. Spirits In the Material World (live) (The Police)
2. Pull Out the Pin (Kate Bush)
3. Watch That Man (David Bowie)
4. Atom (Echobelly)
5. Risky (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
6. Love Rollercoaster (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
7. Working for the Man (PJ Harvey)
8. Caught a Lite Sneeze (Tori Amos)
9. Pavlov's Bell (Aimee Mann)
10. I'm Not the Man (10,000 Maniacs)

2 comments:

joyce said...

as much as i love to shop, i really hate malls and avoid them at all costs! hahaha...i prefer online shopping. :) but that looks like one cool mall!

the police just performed here last weekend, heard it was a fantastic show.

Anonymous said...

After giving it some thought, nothing sounds less appealing than seeing a bunch of aging rockers trying to recapture their past glory playing songs that I've heard every version of a thousand times.

I'm sure it was a good, competent show. I wouldn't turn down an opportunity to see them, but I wouldn't put any effort (or too much money) into it.

Them and Genesis. Although when I heard Genesis was doing a reunion tour, I did take a look at my calendar to see if I could fit in a U.S. visit!