Saturday, June 23, 2007
Nanyuan Estate, Hsinchu, Taiwan
April 20, 2007 - The Chinese language school went on a field trip to this place near Xinzhu (新竹), a city about an hour and a half south west of Taipei, known as Taiwan's equivalent of Silicon Valley. This place, called Nanyuan, used to be the estate of a newspaper tycoon and has recently been opened to the public for tourism. WHO CARES?!! There is no real historical value to this place. It was basically some rich guy's house and he spent an opulent amount of money on groundskeeping. And most of it was in the style of mainland China, so no relevance to Taiwan in that regard, either!
I'm glad I went, though. Now I know never to go on these school field trips.
1. End of the Night (The Doors)
2. Do It Again (acoustic) (The Kinks)
3. Car Fiction (Echobelly)
4. Chamber Symphony in C Minor, IV. Largo (Shostakovich)
5. Never Say No ("The Fantasticks")
6. La Fin Justifie Les Moyens (MC Solaar)
7. Patagonia (Julie Plug)
8. Naima (John Coltrane)
9. What How When Where (Why Who) (Ani DiFranco)
10. The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy) (Simon & Garfunkel)