Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I ride my bike

I take pictures while I'm riding.

October 5, 2005 - before it started raining. Hackensack, NJ. You know, the city Lex Luthor was going to blow up in the first Superman movie.

I was riding out to Route 17 that day.

New Jersey is car driving town. I'm probably the only person in this area who rides to the stores, at least at these distances. And it can be harrowing, worse than San Francisco or even Manhattan. It's because drivers in New Jersey are just like 'duh' about cyclists. It turns out riding to CompUSA and back is still less than my 19 mile default ride, but takes much more mental energy.

On my way back, I scored my first street sign. I've noticed the downed street sign for several weeks, but it was still attached to the pole, so I didn't think anything of it. This time, however, I noticed the signed separated from the pole. I think it took less than five seconds to decide to take it. If I left it, I knew it probably wouldn't be there for long. A pedestrian was walking towards me so I had to act quickly. And I was less than a half mile from my parents house, so I didn't have to go far with it. Perfect.

Palisade Avenue. I'd say it's a pretty important road around these parts. I'd say just about everyone around here knows it.

No comments: