Sunday, October 30, 2005

Riding October

I got a roll of film developed and almost the whole thing is shots taken while on my default 19-mile ride, which I've just extended to 20 miles (optional) by adding a little more at the very end.

How boring is that to have a diary and it only being about riding a bike? I have to find a way to mix things up, but truth to tell, not much else is going on around here these days. What with the days getting shorter and colder and all, impetus to get out needs to be compelling. And this 20-mile default ride is only compelling to keep from getting a gut, sitting around doing nothing all day.

The end of Daylight Savings Time usually signals the end of my "riding season", the way it signalled the end of my "running season" way back when. That began when I was much younger, and physical exertion in cold weather brought on asthma attacks. I continued that out of habit after I moved to San Francisco and after I stopped getting asthma. The season just totally changes after Daylight Savings Time ends.

I'm gonna see how far into the Winter I can keep riding before the cold forces me to wimp out. Too poor to buy Winter clothes, I'm going the ghetto route and layering with microfibre clothes that I have for running. I don't expect this to last very long. Already I see other riders with much heavier protection. And unable to afford Winter gloves, the day my fingers get home numb, the bike goes onto the trainer.



current sounds (last ten songs on iTunes):
1. Deep Red (Versus)
2. Sparky (Kristin Hersh)
3. Apeman (live) (The Kinks)
4. The Crying Tree of Mercury (Smashing Pumpkins)
5. Can't Stand Losing You (The Police)
6. Riding the Scree (Genesis)
7. Check the Address (764-HERO)
8. Ten Feet Tall (XTC)
9. Drive-In Saturday (David Bowie)
10. A Quick One (While He's Away) (live) (The Who)

No comments: