Monday, January 08, 2007
Muslim cemetery - two close up
November 18, 2006 - I went on a ride described in this person's blog. It was great, I don't know how I would have found this ride otherwise. It was ideal because the beginning of the ride is pretty close to where I live. And I like climbing, so I'm glad it was a ride up into the hills of southeast Taipei.
He isn't kidding when he names the ride "Graveyard". The road winds through lots of cemetery land. The first one being the Muslim cemetery. It was a little surprising to see Arabic writing on cemeteries in Taiwan, and mind you, it's not just a small segregated exotic branch cemetery like the Chinese cemetery in Colma, south of San Francisco. There are more dead Muslims in Taiwan than I thought there were Muslims! It was pretty big.
This was a pretty grand monument, but I was too lazy to poke around to see if I could find out what it was. Obviously Muslim because of the dome structure in there. I wonder if it has anything to do with Bai Chongxi mentioned in the blog entry, "Bai Chongxi, the famous Republican Muslim general from Guangxi".
1. Summer Madness (Princess Princess)
2. Hard As Love (Marillion)
3. Five Bucks in My Pocket (June of 44)
4. Finishing the Hat ("Sunday in the Park with George" - Sondheim)
5. He Said (Edie Brickell & New Bohemians)
6. Have I Got a Girl for You ("Company" - Sondheim)
7. The Spell You're Under (Versus)
8. John, I'm Only Dancing (David Bowie)
9. Spirit of Radio (Rush)
10. Fly Me to the Moon ("Neon Genesis Evangelion")