Monday, January 22, 2007

Fisheye 2 - trial roll


November 30, 2006 - Without much ado, I've already transitioned into Fisheye 2 shots, the past few were taken with the 2, but for outdoor shots, there's no noticeable difference between the original lomo fisheye and the 2.

One difference is that with the 2, I can start trying indoor shots because it has a B(ulb) setting that allows the shutter to be held open as long as I want. Unfortunately, there's an art involved, as the longer you hold open a shutter, the greater the chances that the lomo will blur.

This was the first frame in the Fisheye 2. I bought it at Eslite Bookstore near Taipei 101, and loaded it up while having a snack in the Warner Village movie complex (which apparently has a new name, but I can't be bothered).


Not a foodie, I didn't take a picture of the snack, but shortly afterwards I went for shaved ice in the Taipei 101 food court where it occurred to me to shoot it. Again the blur. This is red bean milk (condensed sweet) "snow" ice. I don't know if it's called "snow" ice, but that's the Chinese character in the name, I think. I gather the difference between regular ice and snow ice is that the snow ice is also made of milk, so it has a creamy consistency. Nice.

The big drawback of the Fisheye 2:
The problem of the flimsy lens cap! All the improvements on the 2 are definitely improvements, but the makers took a huge leap backwards with the useless lens cap. I remember thinking the lens cap on Bebe wasn't much of a lens cap, but at least it stayed on. The Fisheye 2 lens cap will fall off if you even think about it. I've resorted to keeping it on using an old ghetto trick: rubber band. The rubber band takes the camera several notches down in class. It's like wearing sneakers with a tuxedo.

iTunes soundtrack:
1. Fly on a Windshield/Broadway Melody of 1974 (live) (Genesis)
2. Our Time ("Merrily We Roll Along" - Sondheim)
3. All of My Friends Were There (The Kinks)
4. Another Satellite (BBC Version) (XTC)
5. Exit Music (For A Film) (Radiohead)
6. Roto-Rooter (Bootsy Collins)
7. Misty Morning (Yuko Hara)
8. Kayleigh (live) (Marillion)
9. Tokyo Hymn (Shoukichi Kina & Champloose)
10. Technicolor Girls (Death Cab for Cutie)

No comments: